List of ingredients
150 g Atlantic cod (4 steaks)
6 fennel bulbs
50 cl semi-skimmed milk
50 cl cream 35% fat
40 g ginger
2 star anise
3 bunches lemon grass
50 g baby spinach
10 g agar-agar
A food and wine combination from Jean-François Pantaleon, chef at the Coretta restaurant in Paris.
“We wanted to reveal the herby side to this wine through the Atlantic cod and lemon balm gel.”
1. Slice half of one of the fennel bulbs with a mandoline into 2mm slices. Dry out in the oven at 70°C (158°F) for two hours.
2. Roughly chop the remaining fennel and fry with the olive oil. Add the ginger and the star anise, and then deglaze with the lemon juice.
Add the milk and the cream and leave to cook for 30 minutes.
Blend and strain into a clean pan and add the agar-agar. Boil for one minute.
Mold the preparation into a rectangular dish to a height of 1cm and set aside in the fridge for 2.5 hours.
3. Cut the leeks in two lengthwise and cook in salted water. Refresh in iced water. Separate each leaf of the leeks and roll up.
4. Blanche the lemon balm and baby spinach in boiling water. Blend, push through a chinois and season.
5. Brush the fish with olive oil and fry skin-side down for a few seconds then finish in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
Heat the fennel cake in the oven for seven minutes at 85°C (185°F) and no higher.
Place a dash of the lemon balm/spinach mixture on the plate and place the leek rolls on top, seasoned with vinaigrette and decorate with the dried fennel. Add the fish and serve.
The author of this recipe
Beatriz Gonzalez, chef at the Coretta restaurant in Paris.
After leaving Mexico to study at the Institut Paul Bocuse, Baetriz Gonzales joined the restaurant in the five-star Hotel Carlton in Cannes before joining the team of celebrated Lyon-based chef Pierre Orsi. Her first restaurant, Neva Cuisine, offers a fresh take on traditional French cuisine, and her second, Le Coretta, won the Young Talent prize from the Gault & Millau guide in 2014.
The Coretta restaurant offers a contemporary ambiance with a vibrant and sophisticated cuisine that focuses on seasonal produce. www.restaurantcoretta.com