Chablis heritage
Pontigny Abbey

Pontigny Abbey

A few kilometers from Chablis stands Pontigny Abbey, the second “daughter” (affiliated abbey) of Cîteaux, historically a source of prosperity for the Chablis wine-growing region. Established in 1114, it is one of the oldest sites of the Cistercian order. In the 12th century, the monks’ substantial assets enabled them to build the large church which still stands intact today. The outside of this imposing construction displays simple lines. The inside is a vast luminous space with a relatively sober décor, the church having been conceived as a place of contemplation for the monks.It is due to the monks of Pontigny Abbey, as well as those of the abbey of Saint Martin de Tours, that Chablis winemaking was able to develop.

 

Open to the public all year round. Click here for visiting hours.
For guided tours, contact Les Amis de Pontigny, Avenue de l'Abbaye - 89 230 Pontigny

The Collégiale Saint Martin

The Collégiale Saint Martin

The Collégiale Saint Martin was built in 1160 and reconstructed from 1220 onwards. It is one of many religious buildings influenced by the cathedral in the nearby city of Sens. Apart from the bell-tower, all the walls are original. Paintings from the 13th century and horseshoes on the side gate underline the importance of this stopover on the route of Santiago de Compostela. Subsequent restorations hardly changed the church's overall appearance, with the exception of the 50m bell-tower which was erected in 1852.

The southern door is in the Romanesque style and has a tympanum decorated with a fleur-de-lys cross that is encircled by two fantastic animals. The defaced paintings are from the 13th century. The casements are covered with horseshoes put there by pilgrims asking for their horses to be healed. They asked for protection from Saint Martin, who at that time was the patron saint of horse riders.

 

GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.799990699
latitude : 47.816051

Lavoir

Churches and lavoirs

All wine-producing villages have a rich architectural heritage. You will come across interesting churches all along your journey in the Chablisien: the church of Saint-Sébastien in Villy, the church of Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul in Ligny-le-Châtel, the church of Sainte-Claire in Préhy and the church of Saint-Aignan in Poilly-sur-Serein.

In some villages, you will also come upon some charming lavoirs (wash houses). There are three of them in Ligny-le-Châtel; the most interesting one is close to the church of Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul and can be visited.
In Chablis, the lavoir is just a few steps away from the Tourist Office, on the first street on the right from the Tourist Office, along the canal. To get a better view, it is recommended to cross the bridge, go down the stairs and walk along the bank.
In Beines, the lavoir is on rue de la Poterne. It dates from the end of the 19th century.
In Courgis, the lavoir is below the village.

Wine and corkscrew museum

Wine and corkscrew museum

Local winemaker Alain Geoffroy is passionnate about old tools and corkscrews. He has an amazing collection of 1,500 corkscrews from the 18th century onwards.

Open for visits and Chablis tastings 
4 Rue de l’équerre - 89800 Beines
Tel: +33 (0)3.86.42.43.76
Website: www.chablis-geoffroy.com

 

Vignobles et découvertes

L'Eglise Saint Pierre de Chablis

L'Eglise Saint Pierre de Chablis

Built in the heart of the cemetery, the church of Saint Pierre is a wonderful Gothic construction from the 7th and 8th centuries when it was the only parish in the town. It was remodeled in the 18th century when the bell-tower was rebuilt and had its choir destroyed during the Revolution.

Vignobles et découvertes

 

GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.799722222
latitude : 47.8086111

L’Obédiencerie

L’Obédiencerie

Just beside the Collégiale Saint Martin, L’Obédiencerie, which dates from the 15th-17th centuries was the property of the Chapter of Canons of Tours, who received money from the canons resident in Chablis. A very old wooden press is housed in the cellar.

22 rue Louis Bro, 89800 Chablis. Tel. +33 (0)3.86.42.89.00

Vignobles et découvertes

 

GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.80048550
latitude : 47.8161911

 

 

THE PETIT PONTIGNY

THE PETIT PONTIGNY

This cluster of beautiful buildings was built between the 15th and 18th centuries. All the traditional festivals held in Chablis would pass through the Petit Pontigny. It will soon become the icaunais (that is, the department of Yonne) site of the Cité des Vins et des Climats de Bourgogne.


GPS Coordinates:
Longitude: 3.801441699
Latitude: 47.811981

L'Hôtel Gras

L'Hôtel Gras

This old townhouse close by Le Petit Pontigny is the former residence of General Gras, inventor of the Gras rifle. Today, the building is home to the Bourgogne Wine Board (BIVB).


GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.801441699
latitude : 47.811981

The Priory of Saint Cosme

The Priory of Saint Cosme

Built in the 12th century by Premonstratensian canons, the The Priory of Saint Cosme was originally fortified and protected by ditches. It was here, from Vaucouleurs en route for Chinon, that Jeanne d’Arc is said to have spent the night in February 1429. Indeed, there is a Rue Jeanne d’Arc in Chablis.


GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.800973600
latitude : 47.8094441

The Château de Béru

The Château de Béru

In the possession of the Comtes de Béru since the 16th century, this beautiful dwelling overlooks the vines of Chablis. It has a rare sun-and-moon-dial dating from the 15th century, a door and tower from the 12th century and a dovecote from the 13th century with 1,500 perches.

Depending on the season, guided tours are available, with or without appointment.
Tel.: +33 (0)3.86.75.90.43
Website: www.chateaudeberu.com

Vignobles et découvertes

 

GPS Coordinates:
longitude: 3.88777777
latitude: 47.8002778

 

WINE PRESS

WINE PRESS

At the west entrance of the town of Chablis, on the road to Auxerre, an old wine press, typical of the 12th to 16th centuries, sits like a throne. It has not always been there — quite the traveler and seemingly put to use for the last time in 1947, it was sent from the wine village of Viviers to be installed in the cellars of the Petit Pontigny in 1963. In 1991, it was moved outside the buildings to the courtyard in front of the cellars. In March 2020, in light of developments at the Cité des Vins et des Climats de Bourgogne, it was moved yet again, for all to see at the entrance of the town, in one piece, without being disassembled and through the use of fairly extraordinary measures.

L'Hôtel-Dieu

L'Hôtel-Dieu

The origins of this building go back to the Middle Ages. It was occupied by the Order of the Holy Ghost. The chapel, like the Hospices de Beaune, was an extension of the ward so the patients could also attend mass.


GPS Coordinates :
longitude : 3.8005567
latitude : 47.8132275

Find out more

Chablis tourist office

Don’t hesitate to ask at the Chablis Tourist Office for help with planning your trip.

1 rue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny - 89800 Chablis.
Tel: +33 (0)3.86.42.80.80.


The Tourist Office has bicycles for hire and guided tours of local wine estates.